Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Has Seminary made us Spiritual??

I am not sure why the feeling of awe has receded. Here I am at the cusp of leaving the seminary life and entering the ministry, and I am mostly frustrated with conversations with friends who have not changed their theological positions still after 4 years of seminary.

Why should that matter? After all - its not likely that they will be part of my presbytery or church (should the Lord grant me a call). So why do I care?

I suppose it is partly because I want consensus at the higher levels in order to be justified in thinking there can be consensus on lower levels of Christian engagement. How will I manage 10 years of frustrated ministry to people unwilling to change?

I know I am not the one to change anyone - and the Spirit must do the work. I know that the work of the ministry is also not measured by growth in theological alignment to the confession. But still, it is an issue worth wrestling through.

No comments: